This article by Chryselle D’Silva Dias on Global Post looks at skin color in India and the way some people are fighting back against the view that lighter skin is better. Included is an example of a commercial for a skin whitening cream.
This intriguing nonverbal gesture has been the source of much intercultural confusion… and humor!
Watch the video “Indian Headshakes: What do they mean?”, and read about reactions to this video.
Indian women parody the comments blaming victims for rape:
- Powerful Satirical PSA Explains Why Rape Is Always Your Fault (jezebel.com)
- Video satirising rape goes viral in India (telegraph.co.uk)
- This scathing satire of India’s rape culture is going viral (dailydot.com)
- ‘It’s Your Fault’ Parody Video Takes On India’s Rape Culture And Ends Up Going Viral (thinkprogress.org)
- Rape? It’s your fault, women: Sarcastic video on victim-blaming goes viral (jantarocks.wordpress.com)
- Why Indian men have the least sex in the world. (ladiesweekly.wordpress.com)
- Everybody knows what women should do to not ‘get molested’ in India. (indianhomemaker.wordpress.com)
- ‘It’s your fault’ video tilts at Indian rape culture (smh.com.au)