Racial classifications change over time… based on how we think we are perceived and social circumstances.
Proof that race may indeed be socially constructed.
Listen to the whole story here.
Longer article: http://www.aasa.org/content.aspx?id=30814
- How U.S. schools misteach history of racial segregation (washingtonpost.com)
- Public High School Racial Indoctrination (jthmishmash.com)
- Education Goals of the March on Washington Not Yet Met: (paramuspost.com)
“The Geography of Hate is part of a larger project by Dr. Monica Stephens of Humboldt State University (HSU) identifying the geographic origins of online hate speech. Undergraduate students Amelia Egle, Matthew Eiben and Miles Ross, worked to produce the data and this map as part of Dr. Stephens’ Advanced Cartography course at Humboldt State University.
The data behind this map is based on every geocoded tweet in the United States from June 2012 – April 2013 containing one of the ‘hate words’. This equated to over 150,000 tweets and was drawn from the DOLLY project based at the University of Kentucky. Because algorithmic sentiment analysis would automatically classify any tweet containing ‘hate words’ as “negative,” this project relied upon the HSU students to read the entirety of tweet and classify it as positive, neutral or negative based on a predefined rubric. Only those tweets that were identified by human readers as negative were used in this analysis.”
“With the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s“I Have a Dream” speech approaching next week, Pewreleased today a new survey on public perception of the progress blacks have made in America since then. The top-level finding is unsurprising: African-Americans are much more pessimistic than whites are in rating the extent to which they still face inequality and unfairness in American society. And they’re significantly more likely to say that a lot of work still needs to be done.”
- Statistics: Majority of Blacks Feel They’re Treated Unfairly by Nearly Every Major Civic Institution (blackchristiannews.com)
- African Americans Feel Mistreated by Almost Every Major Civic Institution (theatlanticwire.com)
- King’s Dream Remains an Elusive Goal; Many Americans See Racial Disparities (amren.com)
- From Pew ResearcH: ‘I HAVE A DREAM’, 50 YEARS LATER (drhiphop85.com)
Not new, but interesting! “As has long been the case, American values differ from those of Western Europeans in many important ways. Most notably, Americans are more individualistic and are less supportive of a strong safety net than are the publics of Britain, France, Germany and Spain.”
“The higher education system is more and more complicit as a passive agent in the systematic reproduction of white racial privilege across generations. This report analyzes enrollment trends at 4,400 postsecondary institutions by race and institutional selectivity over the past 15 years.
Since 1995, 82 percent of new white enrollments have gone to the 468 most selective colleges, while 72 percent of new Hispanic enrollment and 68 percent of new African-American enrollment have gone to the two-year open-access schools.”
- Report: Higher Education Creates ‘White Racial Privilege’ (usnews.com)
- Commentary: Are America’s Colleges “Separate But Unequal”? (bet.com)
- The Best New Argument for Affirmative Action (theatlantic.com)
- College enrollment on the rise for Latinos – does it bridge the gap? (voxxi.com)
- ‘Separate And Unequal’: Racial Divides In Higher Ed (npr.org)
- Demographic change amplifying racial inequities (news.yahoo.com)
- U.S. Higher-Education System Perpetuates White Privilege, Report Says (chronicle.com)