Interesting post written after viewing of the contestants for the Miss Korea 2013 contest: beauty standards, homogenization, and the ironies of multiculturalism.
“A multi-disciplinary blog about what makes cultures “thick” (public discourse, multiculturalism, technology, and civic engagement).”
Fifty years ago today, Martin Luther King’s letter from the Birmingham jail was published. It was actually written on 5/16/63.
I can’t wait to read her new book…
- Coming To ‘Americanah’: Two Tales Of Immigrant Experience (npr.org)
- ‘We Should All Be Feminists’ – Chimamanda Adichie (yellowigbogirl.wordpress.com)
- Black In America: A Story Rendered In Gray Scale (npr.org)
- Review: Americanah, By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (independent.co.uk)
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – review (goldenorangewrites.wordpress.com)
There have been a lot of stories in the press about the recent conflict between the Everest Sherpas and the Western mountain climbers. In a dangerous setting, with reputations, adrenalin, linguistic difficulties, competing interests, and vastly different expectations and communication styles, this example of intercultural conflict got heated, but luckily didn’t have a worse outcome.