Germany’s changing demographics due to immigration, especially of Muslim Turks, present problems and opportunities. This article examines the addition of lessons in Islam in the public education system in response to those changes.
This interesting story looks at the role of struggle and accomplishment in learning, comparing two very different approaches.
- Harvard Business School Case Study: Gender Equity (jinnyku9.wordpress.com)
- New case study at Harvard Business School: gender equity (ndtv.com)
The challenge of US Universities opening branch campuses abroad. “At its best, a liberal education imbues future citizen-leaders with the values and skills that are necessary to question, not merely serve, concentrations of power and profit. Universities that abandon this ideal are lending their good names to the decline of liberal education; turning themselves into career-networking centers for a global managerial work force that answers to no republican polity or moral code; and cheapening the value of the diplomas they hand out, at home and abroad.”
“The higher education system is more and more complicit as a passive agent in the systematic reproduction of white racial privilege across generations. This report analyzes enrollment trends at 4,400 postsecondary institutions by race and institutional selectivity over the past 15 years.
Since 1995, 82 percent of new white enrollments have gone to the 468 most selective colleges, while 72 percent of new Hispanic enrollment and 68 percent of new African-American enrollment have gone to the two-year open-access schools.”
- Report: Higher Education Creates ‘White Racial Privilege’ (usnews.com)
- Commentary: Are America’s Colleges “Separate But Unequal”? (bet.com)
- The Best New Argument for Affirmative Action (theatlantic.com)
- College enrollment on the rise for Latinos – does it bridge the gap? (voxxi.com)
- ‘Separate And Unequal’: Racial Divides In Higher Ed (npr.org)
- Demographic change amplifying racial inequities (news.yahoo.com)
- U.S. Higher-Education System Perpetuates White Privilege, Report Says (chronicle.com)