Gina Crosley-Corcoran examines insterectionality and the relationship between socioeconomic status and race.
The challenge of US Universities opening branch campuses abroad. “At its best, a liberal education imbues future citizen-leaders with the values and skills that are necessary to question, not merely serve, concentrations of power and profit. Universities that abandon this ideal are lending their good names to the decline of liberal education; turning themselves into career-networking centers for a global managerial work force that answers to no republican polity or moral code; and cheapening the value of the diplomas they hand out, at home and abroad.”
There are many good sources that look at the roots of the conflict in Syria. Here are a few:
- The One Map That Shows why Syria is so Complicated: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/27/the-one-map-that-shows-why-syria-is-so-complicated/
- Nine Questions About Syria You Were Too Embarrassed to Ask: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/29/9-questions-about-syria-you-were-too-embarrassed-to-ask/
- UNESCO Warns Syrian Heritage Being Destroyed: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/30/unesco-syria-_n_3844191.html
- Those Ancient Differences: http://www.economist.com/blogs/erasmus/2013/09/sects-syria
- Aleppo Roulette: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23696829
- Boy Killed for an Off-Hand remark about Muhammad – Sharia Spreads in Syria: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23139784
- King Abdullah of Jordan In January 2013: The New Taliban Will Be In Syria, It Will Take At Least 2-3 Years To Clean Up Al-Qaeda (disquietreservations.blogspot.com)
- A Guide to Syria’s Best Citizen Journalism (newrepublic.com)
Another case study of race and perceptions in the United States. Even if the officers thought he was making an obscene gesture, why would they do this? What about freedom of expression?
- Firefighter Handcuffed, Threatened with Taser After Waving at Cops (gawker.com)
- Moment African American firefighter and pastor was cuffed after he waved at cops and they thought he was flipping them off (smd12364.newsvine.com)
- Black Firefighter and Youth Pastor in Evansville, Indiana Handcuffed and Tased for ‘Waving to Police’ (blackchristiannews.com)
- Indiana police threaten to Taser black firefighter in the face for waving at them (rawstory.com)
While not unique at all to Canada, this case illustrates the conflict between the rights of indigenous people, commercial interests, and governmental organizations (or organisations , if you live in Canada):
There have been a lot of stories in the press about the recent conflict between the Everest Sherpas and the Western mountain climbers. In a dangerous setting, with reputations, adrenalin, linguistic difficulties, competing interests, and vastly different expectations and communication styles, this example of intercultural conflict got heated, but luckily didn’t have a worse outcome.