Harnarayan Singh drives hockey mania among his fellow Punjabi-Canadians with his innovative and mesmerizing play-by-play commentary! Listen to how he accomplishes this intercultural feat in this recent interview.
Tag Archives: intercultural communication
How Language Influences Us
When Intercultural Communication Goes Wrong…
A Twitter conversation vents frustration at White people who say culturally “ignorant” things. Is this racism or not? You decide.
Suggestions for Communicating with those Whose Native Language is Different from Yours
A concise list of things to do when communicating with those whose first language is different from your own (when you’re communicating in your native language):
World of Grief and Doubt After an Adoptee’s Death by By RACHEL L. SWARNS and DAVID M. HERSZENHORN, NY Times
Issues of culture, diplomacy, expectations, and child rearing often emerge in international adoption cases.
- Russia vows to protect adoptees abroad (rinf.com)
Conflict in Syria: Cultural Roots
There are many good sources that look at the roots of the conflict in Syria. Here are a few:
- The One Map That Shows why Syria is so Complicated: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/27/the-one-map-that-shows-why-syria-is-so-complicated/
- Nine Questions About Syria You Were Too Embarrassed to Ask: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/29/9-questions-about-syria-you-were-too-embarrassed-to-ask/
- UNESCO Warns Syrian Heritage Being Destroyed: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/30/unesco-syria-_n_3844191.html
- Those Ancient Differences: http://www.economist.com/blogs/erasmus/2013/09/sects-syria
- Aleppo Roulette: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23696829
- Boy Killed for an Off-Hand remark about Muhammad – Sharia Spreads in Syria: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23139784
- King Abdullah of Jordan In January 2013: The New Taliban Will Be In Syria, It Will Take At Least 2-3 Years To Clean Up Al-Qaeda (disquietreservations.blogspot.com)
- A Guide to Syria’s Best Citizen Journalism (newrepublic.com)
The Politics of Being Friends with White People by Brittany Cooper/Salon.com
“My best friend at 9 was white — but interracial friendships later became a struggle. Here’s why everything changed.”
NPR: How Musicians Helped Integrate The Silver Screen by JOHN MCDONOUGH
Jazz and race, in the 1930’s and 1940’s in the United States.
TED Found in Translation Sessions: Pico Iyer
“In this Found in Translation Session, Pico leads a discussion on whether foreignness exists. The tension between expanded technology, more interaction, more mixing of languages, and the concept that finding places that are truly foreign is getting more and more difficult. But is the world growing homogeneously or is it in fact as full of foreignness and distance as it ever was? The translators offer a unique position as their work with TED Talks helps to preserve or revive languages and culture that have been threatened by politics or demographics.”
Racial Profiling Still Exists
This is an interesting example of how race influences our judgement and actions.