Harnarayan Singh drives hockey mania among his fellow Punjabi-Canadians with his innovative and mesmerizing play-by-play commentary! Listen to how he accomplishes this intercultural feat in this recent interview.
A Twitter conversation vents frustration at White people who say culturally “ignorant” things. Is this racism or not? You decide.
A concise list of things to do when communicating with those whose first language is different from your own (when you’re communicating in your native language):
Issues of culture, diplomacy, expectations, and child rearing often emerge in international adoption cases.
- Russia vows to protect adoptees abroad (rinf.com)
There are many good sources that look at the roots of the conflict in Syria. Here are a few:
- The One Map That Shows why Syria is so Complicated: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/27/the-one-map-that-shows-why-syria-is-so-complicated/
- Nine Questions About Syria You Were Too Embarrassed to Ask: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/29/9-questions-about-syria-you-were-too-embarrassed-to-ask/
- UNESCO Warns Syrian Heritage Being Destroyed: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/30/unesco-syria-_n_3844191.html
- Those Ancient Differences: http://www.economist.com/blogs/erasmus/2013/09/sects-syria
- Aleppo Roulette: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23696829
- Boy Killed for an Off-Hand remark about Muhammad – Sharia Spreads in Syria: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23139784
- King Abdullah of Jordan In January 2013: The New Taliban Will Be In Syria, It Will Take At Least 2-3 Years To Clean Up Al-Qaeda (disquietreservations.blogspot.com)
- A Guide to Syria’s Best Citizen Journalism (newrepublic.com)