Rosa Finnegan, 102, reflects on changing her ideas about race.
Gina Crosley-Corcoran examines insterectionality and the relationship between socioeconomic status and race.
There have been quite a few good articles about the problem of racism and white centering among White feminists. If you are not familiar with the current conflict, Ani DiFranco has been criticized for planning a songwriting workshop (since cancelled) at a former plantation in Louisiana. In addition to the lack of sensitivity to the issue of slavery, history, and ongoing racism, DiFranco has been criticized for how the situation was handled after the fact. This post is a good one for those of us who are white to read, examining how we can address our own racism, including what to do when we have inadvertently offended someone (with a great comparison with an accidental physical injury).
While we have to be careful about the word “proof,” the correlation between race and various mental and physical health effects are significant.
In an excerpt of her new book, “A Dreadful Deceit: The Myth of Race From the Colonial Era to Obama’s America,” Jacqueline Jones describes how, “decades removed from the lows of segregation, black America still struggles against its twisted logic.”
- 10 Books Still Transforming The Consciousness of Black People – Atlanta Black Star (innerstandingisness.com)
This personal reflection reveals the nature of race and sexual orientation in the United States, and the related reality of privilege.
Longer article: http://www.aasa.org/content.aspx?id=30814
- How U.S. schools misteach history of racial segregation (washingtonpost.com)
- Public High School Racial Indoctrination (jthmishmash.com)
- Education Goals of the March on Washington Not Yet Met: (paramuspost.com)
There have beenseveral publicized cases recently of Barney’s (and other retailers, including Macy’s) customers who are black being questioned by employees and police, after buying expensive items. A college student has sued and many are accusing the store of racism.
- Another shopper accuses Barneys of racism (huffingtonpost.com)
- Al Sharpton sniffs injustice… (theguardian.com)
- ‘Shop-And-Get-Frisked’ When You Spend $350 At Barneys (npr.org)
- Civil rights group seeks meeting with Barneys CEO (kansascity.com)
- It’s Barney’s vs. the NYPD in Racial Profiling Scandal (mediabistro.com)
- Al Sharpton threatens boycott of Barneys over racial profiling (rawstory.com)
This infographic compares 1963 to 2012, illustrating how much further there is to go…
- The unfinished march toward a decent minimum wage (blogs.berkeley.edu)
- Obama: Economic justice is the “great unfinished business” of March on Washington (cbsnews.com)
- March on Washington: Barack Obama leads 50th anniversary celebrations (theguardian.com)
- Advocates Say the Work of the Civil Rights Movement Remains Unfinished (blackchristiannews.com)
- The Dream: Much Attained, Much Remains Unfinished (jobsforlife.wordpress.com)
- The March on Washington’s unfinished agenda – Washington Post (washingtonpost.com)
- “Martin Luther King’s Unfinished Business”: We All Have To Realize That Our Destinies Are Tied Together (mykeystrokes.com)
- Marchers mark unfinished business of civil rights, 50 years after ‘I have a dream’ (fresnobee.com)
- Civil Rights Movement’s Work Is Unfinished, Holder Says – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Half a century later, is this what Martin Luther King dreamed? (mcclatchydc.com)
Another case study of race and perceptions in the United States. Even if the officers thought he was making an obscene gesture, why would they do this? What about freedom of expression?
- Firefighter Handcuffed, Threatened with Taser After Waving at Cops (gawker.com)
- Moment African American firefighter and pastor was cuffed after he waved at cops and they thought he was flipping them off (smd12364.newsvine.com)
- Black Firefighter and Youth Pastor in Evansville, Indiana Handcuffed and Tased for ‘Waving to Police’ (blackchristiannews.com)
- Indiana police threaten to Taser black firefighter in the face for waving at them (rawstory.com)