Maps can show us many things — here are some interesting ones!
Growing controversy over the use of a nonverbal gesture linked to Nazi Germany is increasing in France. Questions of racial/cultural hatred versus freedom of expression, political correctness, and history are part of the discussion in this very real case study currently unfolding.
- BBC News – Who, What, Why: What is the quenelle gesture? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-25550581
- The Daily Mirror (UK Newspaper) – Nicolas Anelka, Dieudonné and why la quenelle can never be considered an innocent gesture: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/nicolas-anelka-quenelle-dieudonnes-la-2970567
- Haaretz (Israeli Newspaper) – What the hell is a ‘quenelle’? Why everyone is searching Google for an anti-Semitic salute: http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/routine-emergencies/1.566422
There have been quite a few good articles about the problem of racism and white centering among White feminists. If you are not familiar with the current conflict, Ani DiFranco has been criticized for planning a songwriting workshop (since cancelled) at a former plantation in Louisiana. In addition to the lack of sensitivity to the issue of slavery, history, and ongoing racism, DiFranco has been criticized for how the situation was handled after the fact. This post is a good one for those of us who are white to read, examining how we can address our own racism, including what to do when we have inadvertently offended someone (with a great comparison with an accidental physical injury).
In an excerpt of her new book, “A Dreadful Deceit: The Myth of Race From the Colonial Era to Obama’s America,” Jacqueline Jones describes how, “decades removed from the lows of segregation, black America still struggles against its twisted logic.”
- 10 Books Still Transforming The Consciousness of Black People – Atlanta Black Star (innerstandingisness.com)
Longer article: http://www.aasa.org/content.aspx?id=30814
- How U.S. schools misteach history of racial segregation (washingtonpost.com)
- Public High School Racial Indoctrination (jthmishmash.com)
- Education Goals of the March on Washington Not Yet Met: (paramuspost.com)